HSUHK X SCMP ENTREPRENEURSHIP CHALLENGE 2019
The Wu Jieh Yee Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Department of Marketing
The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
HSUHK X SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2019 (E-Challenge) is an entrepreneurial idea competition organised by jointly the Wu Jieh Yee Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (WUCIE) and the Department of Marketing of HSUHK together with South China Morning Post (SCMP). It aims at encouraging tertiary students in Hong Kong to transform their innovative ideas into entrepreneurial start-up actions. Innovative ideas in technological, commercial, creative, cultural and social domains are all welcomed.
DETAILS OF THE COMPETITION:
All current HSUHK students are eligible to participate in the HSUHK E-Challenge. Students shall form teams consisting of 2 to 6 members. Students from other tertiary institutions in Hong Kong are welcomed to join this competition but the team leader must be a current HSUHK student. Also, at least one of the team members should have joined the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Certificate Workshop jointly organised by HSUHK and SCMP. Participants who have joined innovation and entrepreneurship related training elsewhere might also be considered on a discretionary basis. Each student shall enroll in one team only.
(2) Competition Flow:
All teams shall first submit the application for participation via an online registration form with also a business concept statement. The deadline for completing the online registration and submitting the business concept statement is 10 March 2019 (Sunday) 23:59:59. Late submission will only be considered on the discretion of WUCIE.
Requirements of the Business Concept Statement:
Number of Pages: 2 (including appendices, diagrams and tables)
Language: English or Chinese
Size of Paper: A4
Font Size: minimum font size 12
File Name: use the team name
File Format: PDF
Header: show the team name on top right-hand corner of the header
Coverage: each business concept statement shall comprise the following sections:
(1) Description of the business idea and its product / service
(2) The targeted / intended market
(3) Benefits of the product / service
(4) Description of the positioning of the product / service
(5) A brief description of the management team
Normally up to five teams will be shortlisted for the second phase. The result will be announced by 22 March 2019 (Friday) on WUCIE website at 17:00.
For fairness, significant changes of the business nature and the focus of the business concept are not allowed in this phase. The shortlisted teams will be required to further elaborate their business concept statement into a full start-up business plan in form of a PowerPoint presentation (NO written business plan is required).
Before the final presentation, the shortlisted teams will be mentored by an experienced teacher or practitioner for enhancing their business concept.
An initial PowerPoint presentation file should be submitted to WUCIE by 4 April 2019 (Thursday).
(3) Presentation on the Entrepreneurship Day:
The shortlisted teams will present their start-up business plans in the Entrepreneurship Day which is scheduled in the afternoon of 11 April 2019 (Thursday). The Entrepreneurship Day is another key annual activity of WUCIE. During the event, prominent business leaders will be invited to share their views about entrepreneurship. Also, the finalists of the upcoming HSUHK X SCMP E-Challenge will also present their business ideas to a panel of adjudicators during that day.
Each team will have 10 minutes for presentation, followed by a 10-minute Question & Answer session. It is not compulsory for all team members to present, but every member is required to participate in the whole event.
Final results will be announced in the Entrepreneurship Day.
Timeline for E-Challenge and E-Day 2019
|February 2019||Announcement of HSUHK Entrepreneurship Challenge 2019 to HSUHK students|
|10 March 2019
|Deadline for registration and submission of the Business Concept Statement|
|22 March 2019||Announcement of the shortlisted teams for the second phase|
|4 April 2019
|Deadline for the shortlisted teams to submit their initial PowerPoint presentation files|
|11 April 2019
|Presentation by the shortlisted teams on the E-Day
Champion Award and two Runner-up Awards will be announced on the E- Day
The winning teams will be awarded with a seed fund to further develop their business plans:
- Champion Award: Seed fund of HK$50,000 and HK$20,000 cash award for the team
- 1st Runner-up Award: Seed fund of HK$20,000 and HK$15,000 cash award
- 2nd Runner-up Award: Seed fund of HK$20,000 and HK$10,000 cash award
Also, the winning teams will be eligible for joining the Pre-incubation Programme offered by WUCIE. Throughout this programme, they will be eligible to use the co-working space of WUCIE for a fixed period (approximately 9 months), access to its facilities, participate in its training workshop and activities, and receive mentorship from experienced practitioners.
- The seed fund will be provided to the awardees on a reimbursement basis. Submission of proof of expenses, i.e. receipts or invoices, to WUCIE is required for using the fund allocated to them.
- The awardees have to sign an agreement with WUCIE to ensure that they will use the seed fund prudently, efficiently and solely for the project approved under WUCIE.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Each team must assign a team leader. At least one of the team members need to be a current HSUHK student and should have joined the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Certificate Workshop jointly organised by HSUHK and SCMP Challenge. Participants who have joined innovation and entrepreneurship related training elsewhere might also be considered on a discretionary basis. The team leader must be a student who is currently studying at the Hang Seng University of Hong Kong. He/She is a contact person and responsible for ensuring the team submit all necessary information as requested by WUCIE, on or before the stated deadlines.
- Each student is eligible to join one team only. Teams will be disqualified if any team member(s) participate(s) in more than one team.
- No change of team composition will be allowed once the registration process is completed except in unavoidable circumstances.
- All submissions must be the team’s original work. Plagiarism is NOT allowed.
- The development of product(s) and / or service(s) will not infringe the rights or intellectual property rights of any other parties (whether registered or not), including but not limited to patent rights, trade mark rights, and copyrights.
- All participants are required to abide by the rules and regulations of the HSUHK X SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2019. WUCIE retains the right to determine the team’s participation qualification.
- WUCIE reserves the right to modify the competition context at any time without prior notice.
Register for the E-Challenge 2019 and submit the business concept statement on or before 10 March 2019 (Sunday) 23:59:59 by completing the online form here: https://goo.gl/BqMJKD
Please feel free to contact us for any enquiries via email at email@example.com or phone on 3963 5607 / 608.