The Wu Jieh Yee Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Department of Marketing
South China Morning Post
Announcement of the Final Round Results of
HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2020
We are pleased to announce that the winning teams of HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2020:
The Champion Team: Idea to Business
The 1st Runner-Up: Achievers 4
The 2nd Runner-Up: Soulmate
My Favourite Start-up Idea Award: Achievers 4
Thanks to the support from HSUHK students and staff, 477 votes were received. Achievers 4, who got the highest number of votes, received 92 votes.
Highlights of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshop:
The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshop was successfully held on 13 June 2020. The students were inspired by the guest speakers in various areas, including personal branding, design thinking, social media marketing and business pitching.
Besides sharing from the guest speakers, the workshop provided a good opportunity for the students to chat with the experienced leaders in different business fields. Furthermore, by meeting other student entrepreneurs, the workshop helped to establish an entrepreneurial ecology in the HSUHK community.
The captioned photos of the workshop are as follows:
The HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2020, which is an annual entrepreneurship competition jointly organised by Wu Jieh Yee Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Department of Marketing and South China Morning Post (SCMP).
Through this competition, the participating teams could turn their entrepreneurial ideas into implementable start-up business plans. The winning teams will receive a cash prize and seed fund to implement their start-up ideas and gain media coverage in SCMP:
Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshop (1-day meeting)
Date: 13 June 2020 (Saturday)
Time: 10:30am – 5:00pm (Registration at 10:00am)
Venue: N501, 5/F, Block N, The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
Personal Branding, Design Thinking, Social Media, Business Pitching and Competition Briefing
The Speakers’ Biographies:
You could receive a 1-year SCMP weekend subscription after completing the registration procedures with SCMP.
A certificate and 3 ECA hours/1 iGPS unit will be awarded to those who have completed the workshop.
Business Plan Competition
Details of the competition are as follows:
- All current HSUHK students are eligible to participate in the HSUHK x SCMP E-Challenge. Students shall form teams consisting of 2 to 6 members.
- Students from other tertiary institutions in Hong Kong are welcomed to join this competition but the team leader must be a current HSUHK student.
- At least one of the team members should have joined the Pre-Incubation Programme offered by WUCIE or the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshop jointly organised by HSUHK and SCMP on 13 June 2020 (Saturday).
- Participants who have joined innovation and entrepreneurship-related training elsewhere might also be considered on a discretionary basis.
- EACH student shall enroll in ONE team only.
All teams shall first submit their application via an online registration form with the submission of a business concept statement. The deadline for completing the online registration and submitting the business concept statement is 23 June 2020 (Tuesday) 12:00:00 noon. Late submission will only be considered at a discretionary basis.
Requirements of the Business Concept Statement:
- Number of Pages: 2 (including appendices, diagrams and tables)
- Language: English or Chinese
- Size of Paper: A4
- Font Size: 12
- File Name: Your team name
- File Format: PDF
- Header: Show the team name on the top right-hand corner of the header
Coverage: each business concept statement shall comprise the following sections:
- Description of the business idea and its product/service
- Target market
- Benefits of the product/service
- Description of the positioning of the product/service
- Brief description of the founding (management) team
Please press the icon below for the useful references of entrepreneurship provided by HSUHK Library:
Normally up to five teams will be shortlisted for Stage 2 by the panel of adjudicators. The result will be announced by 2 July 2020 (Thursday) on WUCIE website.
For fairness, significant changes in the business nature and the focus of the business concept are not allowed in this stage. The shortlisted teams will be required to further elaborate their business concept statement into a full start-up business plan in the form of a PowerPoint presentation (NO written business plan is required).
Before the final presentation, WUCIE would pair up each shortlisted team with a mentor who will provide them guidance for enhancing their business plan.
An initial PowerPoint presentation file and a one-page overview should be submitted to WUCIE on or before 13 July 2020 (Monday).
Presentation on the Entrepreneurship Day:
The shortlisted teams will present their start-up business plans on the Entrepreneurship Day, which is tentatively scheduled on 17 July 2020 (Friday). The Entrepreneurship Day is another key annual activity of WUCIE during which you will have an opportunity to meet prominent business leaders, investors, alumni entrepreneurs, and other student entrepreneurs.
During that day, the finalists of the HSUHK x SCMP E-Challenge will have the opportunity to pitch their business plans to a panel of adjudicators comprising experienced entrepreneurs, senior executives and investors.
Each team will have 10 minutes for presentation, followed by a 10-minute Question & Answer session. It is not compulsory for all team members to present, but every member is required to participate in the whole event.
Final results of the Competition will be announced on the Entrepreneurship Day.
Final Round Adjudicators
|Mr Mingles Tsoi (蔡明都先生)||CXO, Particle X|
|Mr Steve Lam (林家輝先生)||Admission Manager, Entrepreneurship Team
|Miss Elaine Shiu (邵燕寧小姐)||Founder, EJJ Jewellery|
|Mr Alec Tong (湯志超先生)||Adjunct Professor, Department of Accountancy, HSUHK|
|Mr Rick Woo (胡滿園先生)||Co-founder, LOST HK|
Timeline for E-Challenge and E-Day 2020
|February 2020 onwards||Registration for a workshop of HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2020 open to HSUHK students|
|13 June 2020||The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshop organized by WUCIE and SCMP|
|23 June 2020||Deadline for registration and submission of the Business Concept Statement|
|24 to 26 June 2020||All participating teams have to submit the link & QR code for the “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award”|
|29 June 2020||The email for the voting of “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award” will be sent to all students and staff in HSUHK|
|2 July 2020||Announcement of the shortlisted teams to pitch in the final round on the E-Day|
|13 July 2020||Deadline for the shortlisted teams to submit their initial PowerPoint presentation files and a one-page overview to WUCIE|
|14 July 2020||Deadline of voting of “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award”|
|17 July 2020||Presentation by the shortlisted teams on the E-Day|
|17 July 2020||Champion Award & two Runner-up Awards & My Favourite Start-up Idea Award will be announced on the E- Day|
|Cash Prize||Seed Fund|
|Champion||HKD 20000||HKD 50000|
|1st Runner-up||HKD 15000||HKD 30000|
|2nd Runner-up||HKD 10000||HKD 20000|
|My Favourite Start-up Idea Award||HKD 5000||N/A|
Moreover, the winning teams will be eligible for joining the Pre-Incubation Programme offered by WUCIE. Throughout this programme, they will be eligible to use the co-working space of WUCIE for a fixed period (approximately 9 months), participate in a series of start-up workshop, networking activities, and receive mentoring from experienced practitioners.
The winning teams are also eligible for early admission to the Master of Science in Entrepreneurial Management with scholarship available.
A seed fund will be provided to the awardees on a reimbursement basis. Submission of proof of expenses, i.e. receipts or invoices, to WUCIE is required for using the fund allocated to them.
The awardees have to sign an agreement with WUCIE to ensure that they will use the seed fund prudently, efficiently and solely for the project approved under WUCIE.
MY FAVOURITE START-UP IDEA AWARD
All participating teams of HSUHK x SCMP E-Challenge 2020 are eligible for this award competition. The winning team will be awarded a cash prize of HK$5,000. To compete for this award, each team has to promote their start-up ideas through launching a social media campaign. The requirements are as follows:
- Social media platform: e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Number of the post(s): At least ONE
- Social media account: You are recommended to launch a new page in social media platforms for this award
- Format of the posts e.g. Texts, photos, videos, etc.
- Access: The promotion must be set for public viewing
The relevant link(s) and QR code(s) should be submitted through the google link HERE from 23 to 26 June 2020, 12:00:00 noon for preparing a joint announcement to the voters. Late submission is not allowed.
The voting e-form will be sent to all students and staff in HSUHK on 29 June 2020. All students and staff members with a valid HSUHK email account are eligible to cast a vote for their favourite start-up idea within the period from 29 June to 14 July 2020. The team which receives the highest number of votes will be the winner for this award.
The final result of “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award” will be announced during the Entrepreneurship Day 2020 on 17 July 2020 (Friday). The organising committee reserves the right of rescheduling the notification period.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Each team must assign a team leader. At least one of the team members need to be a current HSUHK student and should have joined the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Certificate Workshop jointly organised by HSUHK and SCMP or the Pre-Incubation Programme of WUCIE. Participants who have joined innovation and entrepreneurship-related training elsewhere might also be considered on a discretionary basis.
- The team leader must be a student who is currently studying at the Hang Seng University of Hong Kong. He/She is a contact person and responsible for ensuring the team to submit all necessary information as requested by WUCIE, on or before the stated deadlines.
- Each student is eligible to join one team only. Teams will be disqualified if any team member(s) participate(s) in more than one team.
- No change of team composition will be allowed once the registration process is completed except in unavoidable circumstances.
- All submissions must be the team’s original work. Plagiarism is NOT allowed. and must not contain any unauthorised use of copyrighted or proprietary materials of any person or entity or content violating the law of HKSAR. Any form of plagiarism will result in an automatic disqualification. Use of thoughts or work of another source must be properly referenced.
- All participants are required to abide by the rules and regulations of the HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2020. WUCIE retains the right to determine the team’s participation qualification.
- WUCIE reserves the right to modify the competition context at any time without prior notice and to disqualify any team that violates the rules, conditions or spirit of the Competition. In case of any dispute, any decision made by the organisers shall be final and conclusive.
A certificate and 3 ECA hours/1 iGPS unit will be awarded to those who have completed the workshop. For the team who has submitted the business idea in E-Challenge 2020, extra 3 ECA hours/1 iGPS unit will also be granted.