Wu Jieh Yee Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Department of Marketing & South China Morning Post
Announcement of the Final Round Results of
HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021
We are pleased to announce that the winning teams of HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021:
The Champion: V-Born
The 1st Runner-Up: MINENOTES EDUCATION
The 2nd Runner-Up: EasyMed
Technological Innovation Award: V-Born
My Favourite Start-up Idea Award: MINENOTES EDUCATION
Thanks to the support from HSUHK students and colleagues, 490 votes were received for My Favourite Start-up Idea Award. MINENOTES EDUCATION got 135 votes to win this prize.
The First Round Results of HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021
We appreciate all participating teams submitting their start-up ideas for the HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021. Believing that all teams strive their very best to prepare for their one-minute pitching videos and their business concept statements, our first-round adjudicators have found the submissions this year is of exceptional high quality.
Our Centre is excited to announce that the following teams have been shortlisted by our panel of adjudicators as the finalist teams for the HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021:
The finalist teams would present their business plan during the HSUHK Entrepreneurship Day 2021 on 28 May 2021 (Friday).
The HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021 (E-Challenge) is jointly organised by Wu Jieh Yee Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (WUCIE), Department of Marketing (MKT) and South China Morning Post (SCMP).
The objective of E-Challenge is to encourage the participating teams to turn their innovative business concepts into implementable start-up business plans. The winning teams will receive a cash prize, a seed fund, mentorship support and access to co-working space to help them implement their business plans. Furthermore, a fast-track opportunity of CCMF – YEP, Cyberport (valued HKD 100,000) will be provided.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshops
A series of workshops will be organized for participants to prepare for the E-Challenge 2021. It provides knowledge and insights for the students to prepare the business concept statement and video for the competition.
A certificate will be issued if students have joined at least 3 workshops in the E-Challenge 2021 Workshops Series.
Topic: Kick-start your dream, Act on your passion!
(1) Introduction to Cyberport Entrepreneurship Programmes presented by:
Mr Steve Lam, Manager, Entrepreneurship, Cyberport
Mr Rex Lai, PIC, Cyberport Creative Micro Fund, Cyberport
(2) Sharing of Participants of Cyberport’s Young Entrepreneurship Programmes presented by:
Mr Ivan Wong, Founder and Director, Flowsophic
Mr Kenny Leung, Founder, IOT Solution
Company Profiles of the Start-ups:
Flowsophic is an intelligent private tutorial service booking designed for Hong Kong students and their parents. Amid COVID-19, Ivan and his team observed that many students suffer from the delayed teaching schedule. Private tutoring is preferred as the alternative to formal education, but most tutorial centres do not have their information online. It is very difficult for students and their parents to search for the tutorial services that best suit their needs. Flowclass is designed to solve this problem directly. They believe that digital boundaries should never be an issue in the 2020s.
IOT Solution Limited is a one-stop STEAM education solutions provider for primary and secondary schools with the aim to promote STEAM education. Arts, including humanity subjects and languages, is part of the STEAM education, which otherwise models around science subjects. The company offers a wealth of STEAM education resources, including a self-development coding language and platform, as well as the opportunities related to Artificial Intelligence and IOT applications. It also features a 13,000 sq.ft. STEAM VR for students to experience various technologies.
Date: 4 March 2021 (Thursday)
Time: 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Topic: Creative Problem-Solving Skills
Mr Cyron Chan, Co-founder of ImpactX
Mr Cyron Chan’s Profile:
Cyron is the Co-founder (Design Thinking & Social Business Coach) of ImpactX. He is an entrepreneur, venture builder, and design thinking advocate based in Hong Kong. His enterprise, ImpactX, has been dedicating to fostering social innovation by lean design thinking tools and tailor-made corporate projects. Previous clients include Airbnb, Enactus and The Goodlab, etc.
Date: 20 March 2021 (Saturday)
Time: 11:00 am – 4:30 pm (Lunch at 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm)
Platform: Online via Zoom (Quota: 70)
Language: Cantonese supplemented with English
|11:00 am – 1:00 pm||AM Session – Problem Reframing & Rephrasing|
|1:00 pm – 2:00 pm||Lunch Break|
|2:00 pm – 4:00 pm||PM Session – Building Creative Confidence|
|4:00 pm – 4:30 pm||Briefing of HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021 Competition|
Topic: Technical Applications for Start-ups
Mr Chan Sze Lok
Senior Start-up Business Development Manager of Amazon Web Services
Mr Chan Sze Lok‘s profile:
Mr Chan Sze Lok is a Senior Start-up Business Development Manager of AWS. Mr Chan has been working with AWS for over 4 years in the Start-up Business Development team. He assists start-up founders in Hong Kong and Taiwan to leverage AWS to realize their business goals.
His passion for digital transformation and innovation has helped more than 100 start-ups successfully grow from ideation to revenue stage. This makes him one of the recognized start-up ecosystem builders in Hong Kong.
Date: 24 March 2021 (Wednesday)
Time: 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Registration starts at 2:45 pm)
All participants signing up for this workshop were qualified to acquire FREE USD 100 CREDITS on AWS Cloud Services and a souvenir upon successful registration on the AWS Educate platform. This is a free platform for you to learn cloud-related courses.
Topic: Do you have an Innovative Idea? New Opportunities under the new normal
Mr Tommie Lo, Founder & CEO of Preface Coding
Ms Vanesse Lai, Co-founder of Start PR
Mr Brian Chu, Co-founder of ReUBird
Guest Speakers’ Profiles:
Mr Tommie Lo, Founder of Preface Coding
Tommie is the Founder and CEO of Preface, an A.I.-powered education technology company that provides personalized education, disrupting the traditional form of classroom and school systems. Under his leadership, the work of Preface is expanding from Hong Kong to global operations, including Tokyo and London; as a result, Preface was the first Asian company crowned with the EdTechX Global Award in 2018.
Ms Vanesse Lai, Co-founder of Start PR
Vanesse is the Co-founder of Start PR. The firm aims to lower the threshold by providing affordable and flexible PR services. Clients have complete control to select the services based on their actual needs. Its success basis strives for creating “no win, no fee” PR solutions for clients to opt for the best exposure plan.
Mr Brian Chu, Co-founder of ReUBird
Brian is the Co-founder of ReUbird. He graduated in June 2019 with a BBA (Law) degree from the University of Hong Kong. At ReUbird, he focuses on marketing and user acquisition (both end-user and merchant side). Currently, the platform has gathered over 300 merchants with more than 50,000 monthly active users.
Date: 27 March 2021 (Saturday)
Time: 11:00 am – 1:15 pm (Registration starts at 10:45 am)
Channel: Zoom (Quota: 300)
Language: Cantonese / English
|11:00 am – 11:40 am||Sharing session by Mr Tommie Lo + Q&A|
|11:40 am – 12:20 pm||Sharing session by Ms Vanesse Lai + Q&A|
|12:20 pm – 12:50 pm||Sharing session by Mr Brian Chu + Q&A|
|12:50 pm – 13:15 pm||Briefing of HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021 Competition|
Business Concept Competition
Details of the competition are as follows:
- All current HSUHK students are eligible to participate in the E-Challenge. Students shall form teams consisting of 2 to 6 members.
- Students from other tertiary institutions/universities in Hong Kong are also welcomed to join this competition but the team leader must be a current HSUHK student.
- Team members are expected to attend at least one Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshop offered jointly by WUCIE and SCMP or are current participants of the Pre-Incubation Programme offered by WUCIE.
- Participants who have joined innovation and entrepreneurship-related training elsewhere (e.g. those offered by the HSUHK Social Innovation Competition or Cyberport funding programme) might also be considered as eligible on a discretionary basis.
- EACH student shall enroll in ONE team only.
Competition Stage 1:
All competing teams must submit their application via an online registration form with the submission of (a) a one-minute video about the business concept; (b) a business concept statement; and (c) the social media links & QR codes for the “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award” (optional). The deadline for registration is on 14 April 2021 (Wednesday) at 12:00:00 noon. Late submission will only be considered on a discretionary basis.
(A) The one-minute video should be in form of an elevator pitch that can attract the audience’s attention and should allow them to understand your business concept within a short period of time.
- Video length: Up to 1 minute long
- Language: English or Chinese
- File format: MP4
- File size: Less than 200MB
- Resolution: 720p
(B) Requirements of the Business Concept Statement:
- Cover – Team Name / Project Title / Mission & Vision / Objectives / Team members
- Maximum number of pages: 3 (including cover, appendices, diagrams and tables)
- Language: English or Chinese
- Size of Paper: A4
- Font Size: 12
- File Name: Your team name
- File Format: PDF
- Header: Show the team name on the top right-hand corner of the header
Coverage: the business concept statement should comprise the following componets
- Identification of the opportunity (i.e. the need(s), problem(s), or market gap)
- Introduction to the business concept
- Description of the innovative element(s)
- Proposed business model (including target market and revenue stream(s))
- Founding (management) team and network
(C) Teams have to submit the social media links & QR codes for the “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award”. (Optional)
The requirements for competing for this Award are as follows:
- Social media platform: e.g. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Number of the post(s): At least ONE
- Social media account: The teams are recommended to launch a new page in social media platforms for this award
- Format of the posts e.g. texts, photos, videos, etc.
- Access: The promotion must be set for public viewing
The details are shown in the #MY FAVOURITE START-UP IDEA AWARD.
Benefits of joining the E-Challenge 2021
All participants who successfully submit the business concepts statement and video would be awarded the following items:
- Attendance Certificate of the E-Challenge 2021
- USD100 free credits to Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud Service of AWS Education Platform and a souvenir after enrolling the E-Challenge 2021 and successful registration at AWS registration platform successfully
- 1-year SCMP weekend subscription by registering the platform in SCMP
- 3 ECA Hours or 1 iGPS Unit for HSUHK participants
You can get access to the useful references of business planning from the website of HSUHK Library as follows:
Normally up to five teams will be shortlisted for Stage 2 by a panel of adjudicators. Results will be announced by 22 April 2021 (Thursday) on WUCIE website.
The shortlisted teams will be required to further elaborate their business concept statement into a full start-up business plan in the form of a PowerPoint presentation (NO written business plan is required). For fairness, significant changes in the business nature and the focus of the business concept are not allowed in this stage.
Before the final presentation, WUCIE would pair up each shortlisted team with a mentor who will provide them with further guidance for enhancing their business plan.
Further details about the final presentation will be announced in due course.
Presentation on the Entrepreneurship Day:
The shortlisted teams will present their start-up business plans on Entrepreneurship Day (E-day), which is scheduled on 28 May 2021 (Friday). Entrepreneurship Day is another key annual activity of WUCIE during which you will have an opportunity to meet prominent business leaders, investors, alumni entrepreneurs, and other student entrepreneurs.
During that day, the finalists of the HSUHK x SCMP E-Challenge will have the opportunity to pitch their business plans to a panel of adjudicators comprising experienced entrepreneurs, senior executives and investors.
Each team will have 10 minutes for presentation, followed by a 10-minute Question & Answer session. It is not compulsory for all team members to present, but every member is required to participate in the whole event.
The final results of the Competition will be announced on the Entrepreneurship Day.
Owing to the pandemic, the training programmes and events might be held online or in a mixed-mode format. Further details about the exact arrangement will be announced in due course.
Final Round Adjudicators
|Mr Perkins Ho||Senior Business Development Manager,
Hong Kong Taiwan Strategic Programs,
Amazon Web Services
|Mr Terence Leung||Senior Manager, Esports and Youth Team, Cyberport|
|Mr Tommie Lo||Founder, Preface Coding|
|Mr Dicky Yuen||Chairman, HSUHK Alumni and
Director, Venturenix Limited
Timeline for E-Challenge and E-Day 2021
|February 2021 onwards||Registration for workshops of HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021|
|March 2021||Online Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Workshops|
|14 April 2021||Deadline for registration and submission of the One-minute Video, the Business Concept Statement and the Social Media Links and QR codes for the “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award”|
|19 April 2021||The email for the voting of “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award” will be sent to all students and staff in HSUHK|
|22 April 2021||Announcement of the shortlisted teams for the final round on the E-Day|
|21 May 2021||The deadline of voting of “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award”|
|24 May 2021||The deadline for the shortlisted teams to submit the 2nd round presentation documents i.e. one-page statement and power point file to WUCIE|
|28 May 2021||Venue: A401, S.H. Ho Building (Block A), HSUHK
Face-to-Face Pitching – Final presentation
Announcement of the awards and winning teams
Award ceremony on the Entrepreneurship Day
*The organising committee reserves the right of rescheduling the timetable and notification period.
|Prize||Cash Award||Seed Fund|
|Champion||HKD 30000||HKD 50000|
|1st Runner-up||HKD 20000||HKD 30000|
|2nd Runner-up||HKD 15000||HKD 20000|
|My Favourite Start-up Idea Award #||HKD 5000||N/A|
|Technological Innovation Award **||HKD 5000||N/A|
The winning teams will be eligible for joining the Pre-Incubation Programme offered by WUCIE. Throughout this programme, they will be eligible to use the co-working space of WUCIE for a fixed period (normally 9 months), participate in a series of start-up training workshops, join various networking activities, and receive mentoring from experienced practitioners.
The winning teams are also eligible for early admission to the Master of Science in Entrepreneurial Management. Cyberport would also provide the fast-track opportunity of CCM – YEP (valued HKD100,000).
For the winning team of “Technological Innovation Award”, the team members will also be awarded AWS laptop bags.
This year, we get a sponsorship from the Excellent Global Business Center. They will offer the following prizes for the winning teams:
Champion: 6 months co-working space
1st runner-up: 6 months hot desk
2nd runner-up: 6 months hot desk
A seed fund will be provided to the awardees on a reimbursement basis. Submission of proof of expenses, i.e. receipts or invoices, to WUCIE is required for using the fund allocated to them.
The awardees will have to sign an agreement with WUCIE to ensure that they will use the seed fund prudently, efficiently and solely for the project approved under WUCIE.
# MY FAVOURITE START-UP IDEA AWARD
All participating teams of the E-Challenge are eligible for this award. The winning team will be awarded a cash prize of HK$5,000. To compete for this award, each team has to promote their start-up ideas by launching a social media campaign.
The relevant links and QR codes should be submitted through the online registration for preparing a joint announcement to the voters. Participation in this award competition is optional but late submission is not allowed.
The voting e-form will be sent to all students and staff in HSUHK on 19 April 2021. All students and staff members with a valid HSUHK personal email account are eligible to cast a vote for their favourite start-up idea within the period from 19 April to 21 May 2021, 5:00 p.m. The team which receives the highest number of votes will be the winner of this award.
The final result of “My Favourite Start-up Idea Award” will be announced during Entrepreneurship Day 2021.
** TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION AWARD
This award aims at encouraging the competing teams to make use of technological and innovative ideas when developing their business concept. The team should demonstrate their technological know-how and their capability to apply it to their product and/or service. Only the finalist teams are eligible for this award.
- Technological Viability
- Potential Impact
- Commercial Feasibility
Panel structure: The final round adjudicators of E-Challenge 2021
The result of “Technological Innovation Award” will be announced during Entrepreneurship Day 2021.
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF HSUHK x SCMP E-CHALLENGE
- The team leader must be a student who is currently studying at the Hang Seng University of Hong Kong. He/She is a contact person and responsible for ensuring the team to submit all necessary information as requested by WUCIE, on or before the stated deadlines.
- Each student is eligible to join one team only. Teams will be disqualified if any team member(s) participate(s) in more than one team.
- No change of team composition will be allowed once the registration process is completed except in unavoidable circumstances.
- All submissions must be the team’s original work. Plagiarism is NOT allowed. The submission must not contain any unauthorised use of copyrighted or proprietary materials of any person or entity or content violating the law of HKSAR. Any form of plagiarism will result in an automatic disqualification. Use of thoughts or work of another source must be properly referenced.
- The video content of the elevator pitch must not infringe on any third-party rights (logos, music, intellectual property, etc.)
- The video must not contain obscene, violent, pornographic, defamatory, objectionable, insulting or any of the controversial and inappropriate content.
- All participants are required to abide by the rules and regulations of the HSUHK x SCMP Entrepreneurship Challenge 2021. WUCIE retains the right to determine the team’s participation qualification.
- The contact information of the participants would be sent to the co-organizer(s) and/or sponsor(s) for verification of the participants’ identity for issuing the certificates, prizes, souvenirs and online platform services.
- WUCIE reserves the right to modify the competition context at any time without prior notice and to disqualify any team that violates the rules, conditions or spirit of the Competition. In case of any disputes, the decision made by the organiser shall be final and conclusive.
- The decision of the organising committee is final. The organising committee reserves the right to reject any application submitted for Competition and the right to interpret, amend, supplement the terms and condition in the guidelines.
- By submitting the application to WUCIE, the teams agree to share their information to WUCIE for publicity and communication media in HSUHK. For materials that are highly confidential and proprietary, the team should make a special note to WUCIE for the special handling of such information.
- Photos & videos taken during the events will be used in promotion & media coverage by WUCIE, SCMP and HSUHK.